Orchard Walk, Aldinga Arts Ecovillage. Sustainable, clever design with low ongoing living costs.
Orchard Walk Aldinga
3600m2 located within established eco-community. Land division established eleven residential lots plus common space for community gardens, playscape, orchards, new road and carparking.
Three concepts were trialled before deciding on the final layout and typology that comprises a cluster of eleven single and two storey homes designed with reference to community. The site is located within the established Aldinga Arts ecovillage, a community corporation of 150 or so lots. Early in the development, a unanimous resolution was passed to allow the land division to become part of the primary community corporation rather than a secondary corporation. This was significant in that it meant the ecovillage facilities would be fully accessible to all residents of Orchard Walk and facilities developed as part of Orchard Walk would be available to the wider ecovillage community. This added another layer to consultations and approvals but ensures full integration of the development into its ecovillage environment. Since that time, the ecovillage has embraced the new development and welcomed new community members. A Development Contract was entered into between LNB and the Community Corporation.
Sustainable housing designed to be energy efficient and affordable. Low toxic finishes, internal and external storage. Must comply with ecovillage bylaws.
Completed project description
The single and two storey homes are characterised by their light and spacious feel. Hallways, stairs and doorways are a generous (870mm) for easy accessibility and raked ceilings and high level, opening windows facilitate cross-flow ventilation.
Timber floors provide a low maintenance finish. A 5m x 2m balcony is a strong feature on the north elevation of two storey homes and allows residents to enjoy long views over the Willunga ranges.
The environment and the provision of shared resources provides opportunity for residents to be part of a small neighbourhood which gives a sense of belonging. Orchard Walk caters to singles and families who see the benefit in sharing some external spaces to extend living, playing or gardens; and people who want friendly neighbours of all age groups. The homes and their setting is designed with the future in mind and easily adapted as people age.
- 6.4 star rating
- 900mm eaves on the north.
- R2.5 external wall insulation plus thermofoil
- R6 ceiling insulation includes roof blanket
- weather seals on all external doors and windows
- 2 – 4KW solar panels
- solar HWS with electric backup
- ceiling fans in living and bedrooms
- LED downlights
- low e-glass in all doors and windows, aluminium frame. Three homes incorporate double glazing.
- Hebel power panel on party walls and at the south orientation
- Ecogroove – a ‘green tag’ manufactured hardwood weatherboard cladding on a timber frame.
- Colourbond and antique galvanised sheet cladding and roof.
- 22,000L in-ground rainwater tanks plumbed into the home plus mains water backup.
- NBN ready
- Landscaped common spaces include orchards, community gathering spaces, shared garden shed, and playscape including sandpit.
- Ecovillage recycled water is available for shared garden areas.